[Freeswitch-users] Multiple 183 SDP Change Codecs - allowed?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Tue Jul 3 22:48:57 MSD 2012

If we only we had absolutes that were that simple...

The default setting in FreeSWITCH when forking (parallel or serial) is
to consider the first bridge (leg) that returns media (of any sort) as
successful.  This FreeSWITCH behavior can be changed.  Many other
implementations behave differently.

In SIP (especially with proxies) this isn't an absolute and several
other scenarios are still valid.  A leg can return 183 w/SDP and then
a 4xx/5xx/6xx, which should then defer to another leg (or pass the
error, or branch further, etc).  Various scenarios are perfectly valid
per the specs.  It's up to the implementor/application to decide which
behavior is preferred.

>>> http://wiki.freeswitch.org