[Freeswitch-users] valet_park timeout

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Sat Jan 14 02:44:27 MSK 2012

Bob,

I respect your viewpoint. However, nothing you said is new to us. We've
been doing this for over five years. Learning a new software platform is
usually a challenging task. Learning a full-featured soft-switch is even
more daunting. I guarantee that you'd be frustrated by something else, even
if this brand new valet parking timeout feature had already been
documented. That's just the nature of telecom software.

BTW, there is usually a 2-6 week window between when a new feature gets
added to FreeSWITCH and when it gets "properly wikified." The reason for
this is simple - there is a lot involved:
1. Watch git commits regularly
2. Notice new features, tweaks, changes
3. Spend time learning those new changes, including how they might affect
existing features
4. Update a server to the latest git
5. Implement the feature and test test test
6. Update the wiki

The list of people who have both the time and skills to do all of the above
- not to mention the energy and inclination - is quite limited. Usually
what happens is a community member knows a particular subset of FS features
and keeps an eye out for changes and then updates them as soon as he
reasonably can. Also, we have a community conference call each Wednesday
(GMT 1700) wherein we discuss documentation needs, among other things. You
are welcome to join us and talk directly to FS power users and even the
core developers on occasion.

So, in short: we feel your pain. Most of us have felt it at one point or
another as we were all once newbies. We invite you to assist us with easing
the pain of the scores of new users who download FreeSWITCH each day by
helping to improve the wiki. Sign up for a wiki account and I'll get you
confirmed ASAP.

Thanks,
MC