[Freeswitch-users] bridging 2 SIP destinations from PBX behind NAT

Sherif Omran sherifomran2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 01:37:50 MSK 2012

Try using stun server ex

stun.ekiga.org

best regards

--- On Thu, 1/5/12, Michal Zubáč <michal.zubac at comgate.cz> wrote:

From: Michal Zubáč <michal.zubac at comgate.cz>
Subject: [Freeswitch-users] bridging 2 SIP destinations from PBX behind NAT
To: "FreeSWITCH Users Help" <freeswitch-users at lists.freeswitch.org>
Date: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 2:20 PM

Hi.

I encountered problem with bridging two SIP calls.

My FreeSwitch is behind NAT, I'm not sure if endpoint switches are, but
I think it doesn't matter now.
Situation looks like this:
   SIP1 <--> NAT <--> PBX <--> NAT <--> SIP2
SIP1 is caller switch, SIP2 is destination switch so call is initiated
like this:
   SIP1->PBX->SIP2

I tested both endpoints separately using ISDN endpoint and they worked.
Like this
   ISDN1->PBX->SIP2
&
   SIP1->PBX->ISDN2

But when I connected SIP1 & SIP2 together, call is estabilished, but no
audio was going through our firewall. Both audio streams from SIP1 and
SIP2 were filtered out by our firewall, because Freeswitch (PBX) wasn't
sending any initial packets to SIP endpoints, so no NAT holes were created.

It look strange to me. I expected FreeSwitch to at least send some
"empty" RTP packets to SIP endpoints as soon as call estabilishment is
confirmed on SIP channel. But Freeswitch doesn't do it and only sends
ringing indication.

I had problems in scenario, where SIP2 endpoint doesn't ring and
immediately answers the call. Call was estabilished, but audio was stuck
in our firewall, because Freeswitch haven't initiated any RTP
communication yet and was probably waiting for something.

I managed to solve this problem by adding <action application="set"
data="instant_ringback=true"/> between my <action
application="ring_ready" /> and <action application="bridge" /> commands
in dialplan.

Now it works, but I'm feeling kind of uncertain with this solution,
because I don't really understand why. What was Freeswitch waiting for,
before I added instant_ringback? Why can't FreeSwitch prepare NAT holes
(as described before) as soon as SDP are interchanged?

Thanks for clarification.

Regards

--
Michal Zubac