[Freeswitch-users] Posibility to build a module for chan dongle

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 20:43:43 MSK 2012

The reason MPL is incompatible with GPL is because the GPL is designed to
keep free software free by making it mandatory for its code and code
combined with it to fall under its license.

MPL only requires changes to be shared with the author of the code they are
working with.  MPL has no restriction on distribution or trying to keep the
resulting work free.

We keep our code free because we want to and do not use the GPL to enforce
it.  We intend for our software to be made into products and we put enough
work into the project that we feel those who benefit from our software will
come back and contribute to our community which is much stronger and able
to maintain the code than any private entity and anyone who can't see that
probably cannot be convinced otherwise.

There is a severe lack of education about open source licenses.  Its very
political and most of the people fighting about it don't even actually
understand the details.  I'm not accusing anyone on this thread of not
understanding but it's important to realize that a large number of people
who even use the GPL just default to it assuming its the only choice for
open source and that it actually means open source.  GPL tries very hard to
underscore that FREE means FREE as in liberty and not FREE as in "no cost".

I choose not to license my software under GPL but that does not mean I do
not completely understand its intent or appreciate anything that has come
from its existence.

Anyway, We can't use GPL code. We can't release any of FS as GPL or it
would break some of the other licenses, but you can ask the author of the
GPL code to make it LGPL which is compat since it allows linking without
contamination.

You can also read the other code to see how it works and make your own
implementation.

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/