[Freeswitch-users] IVR Architecture

João Mesquita jmesquita at freeswitch.org
Sat Feb 25 17:04:01 MSK 2012

On Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Anita Hall wrote:
> Thanks Joao
>
> Yes, language selection depends on what we want to do. Currently, we are using python stackless for running multi-threaded IVR in FreeSWITCH but we are not happy :(
I would love to know why… How many channels are you running? Are you using ESL currently or mod_python? I myself use Python a lot with ESL and I've never hit the wall when it comes to performance despite of all the bad mojo Python has around it for the GIL stuff and all. And I can tell you that I've already done some big things.

> Similarly, I am note sure about multi-threading in Lua.
>
> Multi-threading in C is stable. I am also wondering if the built-in XML engine runs on the same FreeSWITCH thread as the incoming call ?
What does it matter what thread it runs in?

> Why have you found a need to run the IVR on a different box than the FreeSWITCH server? We currently run the IVR on the Media server itself (which is FreeSWITCH). We are taking incoming / outgoing calls over PRI/E1. Even when we change to SIP calls, the media server itself can run both FS and the IVR. What could be an advantage in doing it on separate machines ?

If you had the need to share state between different IVRs that are being executed on different media servers you would know. FreeSWITCH itself is obviously going to need resources faster than the IVR controller, so it is a pretty common design to have several FS boxes with 1 IVR box controlling them all.