[Freeswitch-users] SDP with 2 m=audio lines

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Feb 14 21:54:05 MSK 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Sergey Okhapkin
<sos at sokhapkin.dyndns.org>wrote:

> But RFC 3388 says (in 1. Introduction):
>
>   An SDP session description typically contains one or more media lines
>   - they are commonly known as "m" lines.  When a session description
>   contains more than one "m" line, SDP does not provide any means to
>   express a particular relationship between two or more of them.  When
>   an application receives an SDP session description with more than one
>   "m" line, it is up to the application what to do with them.  SDP does
>   not carry any information about grouping media streams.

If it's "up to the application what to do with them..." then the question
is this: what do you want the application to do? Also, what is the
"application" in this context? Anthony already showed that sending multiple
m= lines is not only legal but is required if you need to have multiple
ptimes. He even added a cheater param that lets you explicitly violate the
RFC for the sake of interop with broken devices. It seems like FreeSWITCH
not only "does the right thing" but it has a button you can press to "do
the wrong thing for the sake of interop."

I suppose I'm not seeing what the problem is. Could you elaborate?

-MC