[Freeswitch-users] BUG REPORTING POLICY **** PLEASE READ ****

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Mon Feb 13 22:43:26 MSK 2012

Greetings FreeSWITCH users...

It has come to my attention that many users are not properly reporting bugs.

Contrary to popular belief, the mailing lists is not where we report bugs.
We have http://jira.freeswitch.org for this function.

Why should you open a jira? The developers have a hard enough time keeping
track of their day jobs on top of all the requests for help that come in to
the mailing lists.

Yes we have a good list of users that help out on the mailing list and I
would like to extend thanks to those that do. However, the mailing list can
be quite busy at times and your bug report there quite frankly can and will
get missed.

Jira on the other hand is a proper issue tracking system. It allows us (the
FreeSWITCH developers) keep up with your issues. On top of that, we don¹t
have to go thru days if not weeks of emails to see the entire trail of what
has happened with a specific issue. It also gives you a place to attach
files to help us diagnose/fix the issue. Maybe you see the issue can be
fixed with a simple patch (ok, maybe its not a simple patch). Attaching your
patch there makes sure it doesn¹t get lost in the mix.

Worried about duplicate reports that someone might have already opened?
That¹s ok use Jira¹s search functions. If you find one that¹s already open
that matches your needs and you see something that can contribute to fixing
the problem, update it with a note. If for some reason we determine its a
dup of another issue in jira, we can link them together and close the dups.

Now, that leads us to another important issue. How do we get the information
the developers really need to see? We have a pretty good wiki page on this
at http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs

Also, we see all the time on the mailing list someone has added a new
feature or module they would like to get into tree. Again, creating a Jira
and attaching the patch lets us track that feature. (Of course there are
other ways to deal with this beyond the scope of this email)

Help us help you. Remember its open source, that means you get the software
for free, in return, you can help yourself and the project in general by
following these simple steps.

Ken