[Freeswitch-users] bypass media only if on same subnet?

Tim St. Pierre fs-list at communicatefreely.net
Mon Feb 13 19:59:40 MSK 2012

Hello,

In order to eliminate NAT issues, we have built routable tunnels to our
larger customers so that their phones are on a private subnet that is
routable to a private subnet at our datacenter.  Each Freeswitch system
has a profile called nonat that uses an interface and address bound to
this network.  The remaining customers register to the "internal"
profile, which is bound to a public IP address.

At the moment, everything works just great - no nat issues, instant
failover between the primary and secondary (shared registrations in DB),
but all media flows through our network.

If someone in office A calls another phone in office A, I would like FS
to instruct the phones to send their media direct.  The addresses and
ports are all correct in this case.
If someone in office A calls a phone in office B, I want Freeswitch to
stay in the media path, as these two offices are not routable to each
other, even though each is routable to Freeswitch.

Is there a way to set up a profile (or dialplan) so that FS will bypass
media only if the two endpoints are on the same subnet?   An ACL isn't
really the right thing, since it would require an exponential number of
ACLs.  Also, many calls go to ring groups, where several phones ring and
we don't know which one will answer until it actually does (eliminating
some sort of dialplan code using the rtp variables).

Is this possible?