[Freeswitch-users] [newbie] questions

Josh mojo1736 at privatedemail.net
Thu Feb 9 18:24:21 MSK 2012

> Yes, FS can record as long as it's in the media path.
> You can save as any format that FS can handle, including .mp3 if
> mod_shout is loaded -
> see http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Misc._Dialplan_Tools_record_session
Thanks, that's a good find!

I also found solution to another common feature I was planning to add:
call screening (screening of calls with unknown/missing CID or from
numbers I don't know or have placed in a special group) - in Asterisk
this is a bit limited to about 2, 3 options which I have no control
over, but in FreeSWITCH, it seems, I have a complete freedom of how/what
to do when call screening is initiated -
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Dialplan_XML (Example 13) is exactly
what I needed, though I take it I could customise it a bit so that:

I (as the called party) have the option (by pressing a specific key
after receiving the caller's name) to: 1) accept the call; 2) send a
message back to the caller saying this number is unavailable and then
terminate his/her call; 3) redirect him/her to voicemail; 4) drop the
call entirely without giving any explanation at all (or, alternatively,
torture them with some moh if they appear to be telemarketing group for
example). By reading that example, it looks as though this can be achieved.

One other thing: in Asterisk, there is a vast sound library for various
messages/music/media which could be used. Is there a similar thing in
FreeSWITCH or should I use Asterisk's media pack for now?

> It saves both channels to one file, but you have the option to record
> only caller/callee or to swap the channels. There doesn't seem to be a
> "flatten to mono" option. See the RECORD_* links at the bottom of that
> page.
If I use <action application="set" data="RECORD_STEREO=false"/> would
that be sufficient to record mono instead?