[Freeswitch-users] [newbie] questions

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Thu Feb 9 03:59:55 MSK 2012

Welcome to FreeSWITCH! Comments inline...
-MC

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Josh <mojo1736 at privatedemail.net> wrote:

> I am considering using FreeSWITCH as a replacement of our (rather
> crappy, outdated and buggy) sip proxy system, and have the following
> system setup on the server:
>
> * eth0 faces the external Internet interface, *but* it does not have a
> public IP address (it has a private one given to it by my ISP's DHCP
> server);
> * eth1 faces our internal network (say 10.1.1.0/24);
> * tun0 serves all mobile smartphones and connects to the internal
> network (it has a different ip range, say 10.1.2.0/24) - they are all
> connected via the Internet using OpenVPN;
>
> I would like to configure FreeSWITCH as a local registrar and ask it to
> handle internal calls between ourselves (eth1<->tun0). I would also like
> to use one external VOIP provider to which FreeSWITCH registers on
> startup. This also needs to have all NAT-related issues dealt with as
> well (hopefully by FreeSWITCH, if possible). I would also need to
> emphasise that FreeSWITCH *cannot* just listen on any (public-facing)
> interface port in order to receive calls from the external provider,
> simply because my ISP won't allow it (i.e. I can't just "open" that port
> and hope that someone will contact me - the connection needs to be
> initiated by our server for incoming call to get routed through).

But calls will be sent to FreeSWITCH by some device, correct? If it's good
old-fashioned SIP then FreeSWITCH will handle it just fine.

> The purpose of registering this external account is so that both the
> smart phones (tun0) and the internal net (eth1) users could use this
> account to make external calls (starting with "0"). Obviously, I need
> these calls to be routed properly via the external VOIP account. In
> addition to that, I would also need to receive calls from that external
> account to a nominated internal one (say on extension 20).
>
> Could this be done relatively easily in FreeSWITCH?

"Relatively?" Of course! It's relatively easy for someone with some
experience. I highly recommend that you ask consulting at freeswitch.org for
professional assistance if you are not comfortable doing this all by
yourself.

> A question about binding: in order to be able to use both tun0 and eth1
> interfaces so that FreeSWITCH serves the calls from both eth1 and tun0
> devices/networks, is it possible to instruct it to bind on different IP
> addresses (on tun0 and eth1 respectively) in order to serve calls
> to/from these networks? I do *not* wish to bind to 0.0.0.0 - just use
> the interfaces I am interested in - tun0 and eth1 in my case.

Yes, FreeSWITCH can bind to multiple interfaces. In FreeSWITCH lingo that
would mean that you set up a separate SIP profile for each interface. (In
fact, you can have more than one SIP profile on a given interface since the
profile is a unique combo of IP addr and port number.)

> If all of the above is possible, do I have to mess about and configure
> SNAT/DNAT separately and use sip kernel module "helpers" etc (I *do*
> have the routing set up properly though - that I am sure works 100%) or
> is FreeSWITCH perfectly capable of setting it all up for me?

"Some assembly required." :D
FreeSWITCH can do some stuff for you, but you definitely need to make sure
that your NAT is not behaving badly, like having a SIP ALG.

> One final query: is there a decent distribution source package of
> FreeSWITCH, which I could take and then use it to build a binary package
> (I use Fedora on all of our machines). I need this, because all of our
> images are built using the rpm packaging system and I cannot just "fetch
> the latest git", compile and install FreeSWITCH - I need it packaged, so
> that the image builder picks it up and distributes it to the machine
> concerned. I checked the SUSE repository (as instructed on the
> FreeSWITCH wiki), but found 2 packages, both of which cannot be build
> due to errors!

I'll have to defer to Ken Rice on this one. I know he's working on RPMs for
FreeSWITCH but I think it's all RedHat right now.