[Freeswitch-users] Best practices question about SIP registration

Steven Schoch schoch+freeswitch.org at xwin32.com
Fri Dec 28 22:44:12 MSK 2012

Please excuse me, I'm a VoIP newbie.

I found the very helpful comment in conf/directory/default.xml.  It says
that the default domain is the IP address of the Freeswitch server.  It
seems to me that this could cause problems if the IP changed for some
reason, or if the server has multiple NICs (which one does it choose in
that case?)

Is it better do just define a well known text string for the default
domain, or even use a real DNS domain name?

2nd question is about SIP usernames.  At least one phone I have found uses
the MAC address as the default SIP user.  Would it be better to avoid
having a separate TFTP file for each phone, and just use the already unique
MAC address as the user?

--
Steve