[Freeswitch-users] NAT traversal - the final say..!

Sean Devoy sdevoy at bizfocused.com
Fri Dec 21 17:27:46 MSK 2012

I just wanted to add a note "for the record".  This is specific to my
Polycom 335s and my FIOS router, but probably has much broader implications
to NAT in general.

I was searching for a way to eliminate SIP ALG on my router since it is
disdained by many.  I was successful.  The main difference was that I had to
set each phones local SIP signaling port to a unique number.  When any two
used the same port (like 5060), the second one would not register.  It
appears that some routers (I suspect many routers) do not map a single
external port to multiple local destinations well.  My extensions were 101
to 106, so I set the local SIP ports to 5101 to 5106.  They still all
connect to the same SERVER port (5060).  This is just helping the NAT'ed
Router determine the route of external packets back to the intended device
(phone).  I still had the 2 NDLB settings on for these user profiles as
mentioned below.

Just FYI: On the polycom 335s, the setting through the web interface are
SETTINGS=>SIP local port #  and SETTINGS=>NETWORK=>NAT sip signaling port.
They should match.

I cannot swear this, but I am pretty sure I had a similar issue with
multiple lines on CISCO 504Gs.  Each line had to have a unique local port.

It is certainly easy enough to imagine how it would be much simpler to "map"
multiple "one to one"  external ports to internal ports than to code for a
single external port having multiple internal "candidates" on the same port.
In actuality, the final IP address and PORT should be present and this
should not be a problem - but it is, A LOT of the time.

HTH,

Sean