[Freeswitch-users] SRTP + hardware crypto

Patrick Lists freeswitch-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 13 07:08:01 MSK 2012

On 12/12/2012 05:07 PM, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>    Has anyone ever looked at enabling hardware acceleration of SIP+TLS
> (and more importantly) SRTP?

There's support for AES in 2010 and later Intel cpu's. Maybe that could
possibly be used for this acceleration?

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-advanced-encryption-standard-aes-instructions-set

An overview of cpu's with AES can be found here:
http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced/?s=t&AESTech=true

>    Hardware engines are pretty well defined in OpenSSL at this point so
> it shouldn't be too hard to get Sofia to use them.  SRTP, on the other
> hand, doesn't use OpenSSL...

Last time I looked the price of those hardware cards is considerable so
it should really bump max SRTP calls to justify the CAPEX.

>    So the next question is: How hard would it be to get libsrtp to use
> OpenSSL AES so we could take advantage of the various hardware engines
> available?  Would it actually help?  Has anyone looked at this?

Apparently pressureman is.

> Thanks!

Regards,
Patrick