[Freeswitch-users] Natting question.

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:00:28 MSK 2012

So to clarify:

Client -> Internet -> NAT -> FS
works

Client -> NAT -> Internet -> NAT -> FS
does not?

Since the FS NAT side appears to be working (from the 1st case), I'm
guessing it's probably either a problem at the client side (with client or
NAT router) or perhaps the double-NAT is causing an issue. Personally I
haven't run FS behind NAT, so it's not a situation I've had to handle.

Do a packet trace of a call at both the client and FS ends. The FS end is
easy - "sofia global siptrace on if you have low volumes, or a tool like
tcpdump/ngrep if you have higher volumes. FS will actually log the SDP
information in at debug-level console logs and in XML CDRs. At the client
side try using Wireshark on the client PC.

Compare the SDP information of the call, to check the IP and ports seen at
either end. Check whether they look reasonable. FS will need to see the
public IP of the client, and the client see the public IP of FS for audio
to work in both directions. The FS/client may not need to know their public
IP on the internal side of the router as many routers have SIP ALG that
will rewrite the internal IP to an external one, but if the client has
already done so that often causes more problems than it solves.

FS can handle only knowing the internal IP of the client if they're able to
send RTP to FS - it will see the IP/port the audio is coming from and send
audio back to that address. That does mean audio won't work on such a call
until it has received RTP from the client though.

-Steve