[Freeswitch-users] Improve generated tones quality

Emrah lists at kavun.ch
Mon Dec 10 16:29:45 MSK 2012

Hi list,

I am experiencing a recurring problem with generated tones across different machines and FS versions.

The start or the end of the tone is often distorted. For some interesting reasons, this does not happen with all equipments and not all codecs.
Typical scenario in PCMU/A:
If someone calls me on an inbound DID, I pick up the call and than transfer the call to an internal extension, the original caller will hear MOH followed by a ringback that starts with a sort of "fade in".
Something similar happens with the voicemail where the end of the beep tone is faded out.

Even though this hasn't much to do with Early Media, I tried playing with bridge_early_media to no avail. It added a 5 seconds latency at the start of my call and did not solve my issue.

Your take on this would be greatly appreciated. Is there a way to fine tune PCMU / PCMA for better performance? Can we initiate a little buffering on system generated tones?

Cheers,
Emrah
Ps: It sounds weird, but I believe this also happens if the played tone is an actual sound file.