[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch - Stable Version

Ken Rice krice at freeswitch.org
Thu Aug 30 17:14:23 MSD 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Patrick Lists <
freeswitch-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 08/30/2012 02:13 PM, Ken Rice wrote:
> > lol... actually using a pretty heavy duty machine (i think it was like a
> >   quad hexa-core machine) Anthony demonstrated 10K concurrent call
> > playing a 30 second sound file,  while initiating 1000 new calls per
> > second at cluecon in 2011...
>
> I remember mentioning similar numbers at a FreeSWITCH presentation in
> the Netherlands a few years back (but only after verifying the numbers
> several times with Anthony and Brian since they were quite hefty). At
> the presentation oej was in the audience and when I mentioned those
> numbers he jumped up and said "impossible!". That was a fun discussion.
> I referred him to Anthony but never heard if he actually did and if he
> accepted those numbers to be true.

I actually witnessed his demonstration at cluecon where that happened...

and I have personally demonstrated 2500 concurrent media playback calls
running FreeSWITCH on a Dell SC420 playing a sound file from ram drive...
so i know its possible to reach much higher density on newer hardware....

> > so the scalability is there at least in some form.... the problem is, do
> > you really want 5000 concurrent calls potentially $100/minute worth of
> > cheap calls going through a machine that can hard fail and leave you
> > losing 5K to 10K CDRs...
>
> I would not. And I prefer Gigabit Ethernet over an OC12 link any day.
> But if you use something like a Stratus box then it should be possible
> to get at least 5 nines availability. The question is off course if such
> a solution is financially viable as those Stratus boxes don't come cheap.

The problem with Stratus would be not only are they very expensive, but
their configurations tend to not be the highest end CPUs/RAM configs
without a Fortune500 size budget...