[Freeswitch-users] FreeSWITCH and Pulse Audio

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Aug 21 06:49:33 MSD 2012

What, if any, is the right way to set up FreeSWITCH as a soft-phone on a
system with Pulse Audio handling the audio device?

I found a bug on this topic that was never fixed, so I'm wondering what the
solution now is and in which direction development is heading.

In the admittedly old version of FreeSWITCH that I'm running, mod_portaudio
fails to find the device which is being handled by Pulse Audio as the default
(it simply doesn't appear in the output of pa devlist).

I know there is also an Alsa module for FreeSWITCH, which used to be rather
limited in functionality and not a substitute for mod_portaudio.

Thus my basic question is where FreeSWITCH is heading with regard to audio I/O
under Linux. Is there anything interesting in the pipeline?