[Freeswitch-users] How to update a live system with very little downtime (How does 'make current' work?)

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Apr 17 01:02:38 MSD 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Jason Moran
<jmoran at secureachsystems.com>wrote:

>  Sorry for such a basic question:****
>
> **1.       **If I do a ‘make current’ while a system is running it will
> not have any effect until I restart FS, correct?****
>
> **2.       **What if ‘make current’ fails? What if it fails and the
> server gets restarted, will FS work?****
>
> **3.       **Is it more advisable to stop FS, do the ‘make current’, then
> start FS even though it will have a longer down time?****
>
> ** **
>
> I know it’s best to keep FS up-to-date – but it is difficult when you only
> have 1 system available and it is expected to have 100% uptime..****
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Since you don't have a spare system (which is totally naughty, btw,
especially if your corporate overlords expect 100% uptime) then my next
question would be this: how are you set on CPU power, RAM, and disk space?
The reason I ask is that it is entirely possible to create a secondary git
clone of the FS repo and use a completely different install path when
running the configure script. You could "make current" in that secondary
repo and get a sort of preview of what would happen w/o touching your
production build env or install dirs. If the update goes well in your test
scenario then you could do the update in your production environment.

 It's kinda hackish but if you have spare disk space then it's a really
cheap option. It isn't perfect, but it does give you at least some
semblance of "try before you buy."

-MC