[Freeswitch-users] double nat trouble

Brett Wilson brett at launch3.net
Wed Apr 4 12:06:12 MSD 2012

Hey guys,

We have just temporarily moved our office, so our phones are no longer just
on the office LAN. They are on a remote lan, both sides behind NAT and I'm
trying to get them working right but I am having trouble. I have things
working to the point where I can call to the POTS or to an extension on the
local network back home just fine. The problem is that the remote phones do
not receive sip messages behind the nat. It seems to me that freeswitch is
sending the messages to the sip port the phones are configured with, and not
the NAT port that can be seen when viewing the registrations status. The nat
ports are very high numbers. I suspect if FS was to send messages to those
ports, it would get through the foreign nat and reach the phone.

On the FS side, I am using pfsense as the firewall, and have port forwards
set up to the fs box. I am using a dynamic ip with dyn-dns-like service and
am using that domain name in the fs internal/external profiles for the
ext-sip-ip and ext-rtp-ip variables. I have upnp turned off but it does not
make any difference anyway.

Strangely, I was actually able to place a call from one remote phone to
another once earlier, but it must have been a fluke because I haven't had it
working after that.

What am I missing here?

Brett Wilson
IT Department