[Freeswitch-users] G.729

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Sep 25 20:34:05 MSD 2011

That's a good question. Many of the patents listed in the ITU database
have already expired. I think the last one in the ITU database to expire
will be some time in 2016, so its pretty much 20 years after the spec
was first published - i.e. people were patenting techniques used by the
codec until close to its publication data. One or two of those final
patents might be things you could design your way around. G.729A was
published a little later, but I don't remember any patents specific to
it. Not all the relevant patents are listed in the ITU database, so
there might be further problematic ones, which won't expire until 2016.

The bottom line seems to be that it will be something like 2015 or 2016
before the G.729. G.729A and G.729B specs are in the clear.

Steve