[Freeswitch-users] Detecting silence in recorded file

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Wed Sep 14 19:26:45 MSD 2011

Do you need to do something after the call is over, like in a
post-processing cron job or hangup hook? If so you can probably apply the
principles in Kielhofner's Recqual project. I wrote up some info on it here:
http://www.freeswitch.org/node/297

That story has links plus a recap of what Recqual is all about. The trick is
using ecasound's "chains" and "gates" to allow/deny sections of audio to
pass through from the source to the destination. If you have a gate that
allows only "non silence" to pass through to the target file then you can
compare the size of the source to the size of the destination, or you can
just check the absolute size of the destination file. In any case, if you
don't mind a clever-though-less-than-perfect solution then check it out.

-MC