[Freeswitch-users] Feedback

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:46:57 MSK 2011

Well the initial design of FreeSWITCH provides a way to make custom modules
in a variety of languages including C++.

>>    - We converted FS core to C++ and having it compiling to .NET 4.0 CLI

The entire FS core is C specifically designed to be completely compatible
with C++.
I am not sure what other changes are necessary but FreeSWITCH was not
designed to have people even touching the core.  They should be using
modules.

>>    - FS now runs inside its own namespace
Ummm ok,

>>    - We replace FS_CLI with a PowerShell shell app
Not really required to be a replacement when it's a standalone app
anyway.....

>>    - Supports SQL Server support via the Native SQL Server Client API
There was a core abstraction for db access, addition of this support could
have been worked into the existing framework without
causing proprietary changes....

>>    - Support for windows clustering (up to 32 node active/active cluster)
Not sure what this entails.

>>    - Ties more directly into the Win32 API and has less reliance on open
>>    source Libs

In my experience, the windows specific implementations of some of the
function suppled by other POSIX libs are very poor and do not provide the
same type of performance as the originals.  The later version of windows
now have become more and more truly POSIX compliant and all the suffering
man hours quoted above would have been better spent making all platforms
equally take advantage of newer stuff.

>>    - Replaces OpenSSL sockets with Windows encrypted sockets
Not sure but does this mean modifications to sofia etc because we don't
really use SSL direct in the core.

>>    - Added windows performance monitoring
I'm sure that could have been put into the mainstream very easily.

>>    - No longer need to use mod_managed for managed modules
Not sure how but it's most likely a trivial bypass of the abstraction
layers which is mostly just a greedy shortcut.

>>    - Memory management relies on .Net garbage collection
So you wrote a drop in replacement for the Apache Portable Runtime that
offers the dozens of pool based programming tools.  This alone seems like a
many man-year undertaking.

>>    - Added support for Microsoft Speech
This hopefully was done in a module that could easily be part of mainstream.

>>    - VoiceXML 3.0 and SCXML support
Again, I would hope in a module using the core speech module api.

>>    - No longer supports JS, LUA, PHP development - Modules can be only
>>    developed in .NET, C or C++( we feel support for other languages can
>> be
>>    added back in but falls outside the scope of our objectives at this
>> time,
Its easy to simply not load these modules, you never could write actual
modules in any of these languages to begin with, this comment suggest a
lack of understanding in how the core works that makes me even more
skeptical.

>>    support for SCXML should make limit the need for other scripting
>> languages)
Again something that should be done as a module.

>>    - Fixed RTP clock timing issues in virtualized environments
That must be a windows specific thing that could be applied in an ifdef
into the core.

>>    - New configuration file format using .Net App Configuration files
>>    (kind of looks like an IIS config file)

This change would render most of the existing functionality unusable and
would require countless man hours to deal with.  You cited 480 man hours
which is how much work I put in to this project every month for half a
decade straight.........

Anyway, FreeSWITCH was designed for businesses to share the core and make
their own custom modules for their own business use.   Any modifications to
the core or existing components require 100% of changes to be submitted to
the respective author on a per-file basis as stipulated by the MPL.  I may
or may not choose to do what I see fit with those changes but I would for
sure like to see them especially since you want us to host this branch
anyway.

In reality I suggest you make an effort to connect with the other windows
developers in the community and work toward a collaborative effort to make
your desired functionality work inside the scope of the projects actual
goals.  There are many of such developers and there has already been talk
of making some of the changes you boast only not in a way that destroys any
previous work done on the project or alienates any existing developers.

MSN:anthony_minessale at hotmail.com
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale at gmail.com

sip:888 at conference.freeswitch.org
googletalk:conf+888 at conference.freeswitch.org