[Freeswitch-users] Feedback

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 07:19:09 MSD 2011

One thing that is disturbing is that after all the time and effort I put
into making FreeSWITCH cross platform, the very idea of such an initiative
wipes all that out in favor of one platform.  So even if you are willing to
share it, and it's not B.S. its bothersome to me that:

1) I spent 6 years making it work everywhere and you aim to put all your
extended efforts into steering it to a separate version
2) Making it use less open source libs is not really a good thing since its
an open source project.
3) You did not propose anything to us first, that's a bit disrespectful.

I think about everybody who uses FreeSWITCH when I make decisions, and this
just feels selfish to me, (probably not for windows users)  but hey....

On the other hand, Henry has a great point, that looks like a pretty big
list of changes to do in a few weeks considering you were only asking
trivial newbie questions as recently as sept 18th and your website is the
generic IIS document root.   I would be pretty concerned about vishing if I
were a reader of this post.

I guess seeing is believing and if you are legit our windows-friendly
developers will let me know.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Chad Vogel <cvogel at lyonl.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> I wanted to reach out and get some feedback from everyone because my
> company started a project using FS as base several weeks ago, our goal was
> to optimize and integrate FS more directly into Windows environments. Here
> is my question, we would like to share our changes and where should we host
> our project? Because we understand our build breaks compatibility with the
> UNIX environments and fails to meet the objectives cross platform
> compatibility, however it could contribute greatly and be beneficial to
> other windows users.
>
> Here are some of the changes we have made:
>
>    - We converted FS core to C++ and having it compiling to .NET 4.0 CLI
>    - FS now runs inside its own namespace
>    - We replace FS_CLI with a PowerShell shell app
>    - Supports SQL Server support via the Native SQL Server Client API
>    - Support for windows clustering (up to 32 node active/active cluster)
>    - Ties more directly into the Win32 API and has less reliance on open
>    source Libs
>    - Replaces OpenSSL sockets with Windows encrypted sockets
>    - Added windows performance monitoring
>    - No longer need to use mod_managed for managed modules
>    - Memory management relies on .Net garbage collection
>    - Added support for Microsoft Speech
>    - VoiceXML 3.0 and SCXML support
>    - No longer supports JS, LUA, PHP development - Modules can be only
>    developed in .NET, C or C++( we feel support for other languages can be
>    added back in but falls outside the scope of our objectives at this time,
>    support for SCXML should make limit the need for other scripting languages)
>    - Fixed RTP clock timing issues in virtualized environments
>    - New configuration file format using .Net App Configuration files
>    (kind of looks like an IIS config file)

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/