[Freeswitch-users] High load on database server

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue Oct 25 22:32:10 MSD 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 17:50 +0000, Luis Jimenez wrote:
> Hi Anthony, which db engine do you prefer, this as recommendation for us, for better performance with FS?

We use PostgreSQL 8.4.  Our system currently processes around 350
concurrent calls during peak hours and PostgreSQL barely notices (every
call accesses the database to get the dialplan for around 5000 numbers).
We also access the same database for CDR logging and
application-specific data, so the number of concurrent database
connections is actually somewhat higher than that.

That being said, unixODBC 2.2 will often segfault under that load, so be
wary of that (it appears reliable up to about 300 connections, seems to
reliably fall over at 330).  We're in the process of testing 2.3.0 which
is reportedly better in this regard.

Anyway, I don't think choice of database is the issue here.  I don't
care for MySQL, but I don't think it should be any sort of bottleneck
for your application.  If you have poorly written or unindexed
queries/joins, they will be slow on whatever database you throw at it.

Also, does MySQL run on the same system as FreeSWITCH?  Have you checked
for basic issues such as memory pressure (or the inverse, failing to
tune MySQL to utilize available resources), slow disk throughput, etc?
Questions about database performance have no "one answer fits all"
solution, so more data would need to be gathered than you've provided
here.

Regards,
Cliff