[Freeswitch-users] Running FreeSwitch as Windows Service

Adelia C. hexade at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:06:27 MSD 2011

Hello,

I am building FreeSwitch through VS 2010 (not VC++ Express) and I generate FreeSwitchConsole.exe as a console application. No FreeSwitch.exe is generated.

FreeSwitchConsole runs fine as an application but I need to run the SW as a service.

I installed Freeswitch as a local service that calls FreeSwitchConsole.exe, and this is the output of "sc qc FreeSWITCH":

C:\FreeSWITCH>sc qc FreeSWITCH
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: FreeSWITCH
        TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START
        ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
        BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\FreeSWITCH\FreeSwitchConsole.exe
        LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
        TAG                : 0
        DISPLAY_NAME       : FreeSWITCH
        DEPENDENCIES       :
        SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

Trying to start FreeSwitch as a service results in  Error 1053 Timeout - Event Viewer is : Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the FreeSWITCH service to connect.

Or:
C:\FreeSWITCH>net start freeswitch
The service is not responding to the control function.

Is it because I am trying to start a console application as a service?

Do I need to have a FreeSwitch.exe and if so, how do I build it? Do I need to create a Windows Service wrapper project?

I tried using winserv (supposed to start console apps as service), with same result:
C:\FreeSWITCH>..\tools\winserv\winserv start FreeSwitch
ERROR 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

What am I missing?

Thank you.
A.C.