[Freeswitch-users] MInimal Hardware requirements - G729

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Tue Nov 29 22:36:38 MSK 2011

Having over 100 G729 channels in software is fine but as I said there
are very few cases where you'd want to do that because G729 hardware
offers many advantages.  The case you pointed out (VM in the cloud)
would certainly be an exception.

While there are inherent problems with any VoIP in VM environments
I'll ignore them for the purposes of this discussion.  Look back
through the archives and see how many threads have started with "I'm
running in a VM and I'm having RTP problems"...

VM environments work well for moderate to low loads as hardware has
gotten faster (combine eight moderately loaded web servers on one
large server, etc).  As you start using 100 channels of G729 (and
conferencing, etc) you start leaving less room for other hosts on a
VM.  This begins to destroy the economic advantage of a VM.

Additionally, a 120 channel Sangoma card costs about $1000.  That's 20
more G729 channels that you'd get with software AND it won't generate
as much heat or use as much power (or your CPU can be free for other
things).

I'd be interested to see the math on hosted VM + 100 software G729
channels (and CPU usage to go along with it)

vs.

Relatively low end dedicated server with Sangoma card.

Kristian Kielhofner