[Freeswitch-users] No shared modules built, linking problems on NetBSD

Jesse Peterson jesse at mactechs.com
Sun Nov 27 03:47:48 MSK 2011

Hello,

I'm having some problems building FreeSWITCH head from Git on NetBSD. There are some known NetBSD issue in the source that need to be corrected for  but once corrected then the compilation happens successfully. However once installed FreeSWITCH has only installed .a and .la files into /usr/local/freeswitch/mod/ instead of .so files. Thus when FreeSWITCH starts it cannot load any of the modules because there's no dynamic libraries.

I don't know if it's related but when building modules and then linking modules many of them have:

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive libs/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive /home/local-src/freeswitch/libs/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive libs/libedit/src/.libs/libedit.a.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because the file extensions .a of this argument makes me believe
*** that it is just a static archive that I should not use here.

These vary by the specific module.

This system is NetBSD/i386 5.1 with LibTool 2.2.6b with autoconf 2.68 and automake 1.11.1 (all from pkgsrc).

It appears there was one shared library built: ./libs/libfreeswitch.so so it seems it *can* build shared libraries, just none of the modules perhaps?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
- Jesse