[Freeswitch-users] Scientific Linux 6 (RHEL6) and Tickless Kernel (and possibly Fedora releases)

curriegrad2004 curriegrad2004 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:30:24 MSD 2011

I was recently going through the configuration options on compiling a
custom kernel for Scientific Linux 6 (aka RHEL 6 Clone) and I happened
to find the kernel is being compiled to run tickless by default. Red
Hat's documentation also confirms that the Kernel is indeed tickless
by default:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Power_Management_Guide/ASPM.html

Not knowing what a tickless meant, I went on and googled and found my
answer to what a tickless kernel is. Then I decided to search up on
tickless kernels with FreeSwitch and found out that 2 years ago
somebody brought up the tickless kernel issue on this mailing list
before and bkw did recommend in the past that users should disable the
tickless feature of the kernel. Fast forwarding today is it still the
case that when a user runs FreeSwitch, they should disable the
tickless feature of the kernel? If so, I'd probably be adding the grub
option of disabling the tickless feature with the kernel and adding
this tidbit of information to the wiki.