[Freeswitch-users] Fwd: Major deployment of outbound FAX on latest version of Freeswitch question

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu May 12 17:59:48 MSD 2011

On 05/12/2011 05:21 PM, Juan Antonio Ibañez Santorum wrote:
> Hello Steve!
>
>    I would like to ask you one question about fax system. You told
> that using FS+mod_spandsp could be gotten successful faxing rates over
> 99%. Looking at your experience, is 99% nearer to 100% or to 99%?
> Which errors do you find usually on that 1%?

You can run tests all day in a lab without failure. The real test is how
well things work against a wide diversity of machines in the real world.
This http://www.soft-switch.org/spandsp-soft-fax-performance.html says
something about our testing, and what is achievable. Its quite a lot of
work to get real reliability numbers. You get a lot of call failures on
a typical public FAX server due to things like wrong numbers, voice
calls into a FAX port, people purposefully dropping half completed FAX
calls, and buggy FAX machines doing weird things. Don't ignore the last
one. There are famous make machines with serious bugs. You need to
manually check the failed calls one by one to get real reliability
figures. In the end there are always a few calls where you are never
sure who's fault the failure is. All I can say with hand on heart is the
number of unexplainable failures is well below 1%

Regards,
Steve