[Freeswitch-users] Moving on from CentOS

EdPimentl edpimentl at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:26:09 MSD 2011

Here is an excellent example when you may want Pro-Services and
migrate from CentOS.
http://www.nexenta.org/projects/site/wiki/WhyNexenta

Unbuntu distro with Solaris Kernel and full  instant access to ZFS,
DTrace, Containers, Fault Management, 32/64-bits multiarch

Why should I use Nexenta anyway?

As we already learned, Nexenta is based on Ubuntu, with an OpenSolaris
kernel (not unlike Debian GNU/kFreeBSD or Debian GNU/Hurd). So why
should I use Nexenta, as Ubuntu is probably supported/used by more
people, as is maybe more hardware?

You should because it got outstanding, mainline, features. You won't
have to patch your kernel or otherwise use unsupported features to get
instant access to ZFS, DTrace, Containers, Fault Management,
32/64-bits multiarch, ...

Plus, Solaris is known to be one of the best OS out there when it
comes to multi-threading, which is great with today's CPUs with
multiple cores and hardware threading (such as Intel HyperThreading or
Sparc CMT).

Outstanding Features

Let's dig into more details about what Nexenta can bring you:

ZFS: easy dynamic storage management (no SoftRAID + LVM + fs +
mountpoints) of use disk capacities, reliably (COW, RAIDZ), fast, with
snapshots (which also bring you system clones with rollback, usable as
fail-safe upgrade paths, because of integration with your bootloader
GRUB or OpenFirmware), deduplication and compression, Flash log
devices (for best performances)
DTrace: dynamic tracing of your software (want to diagnose about
anything happening on your machine now or in a timely manner?)
Containers: Linux Vserver made easy, simply put: a way to isolate processes
Fault Management: SMF (replaces alltogether initscripts, inetd, and
offers more features) and more
32/64-bits: Solaris is natively 32/64-bits for years, as is the Sparc
architecture, historically its primary target platform
Solaris' excellent multi-threading explains probably why it is
considered in the following applications:

Recommended OS for the Open Source Telephony Project
Behaving exceptionally on high-performances Java multi-threaded applications

On 5/9/11, Anthony Minessale <anthony.minessale at gmail.com> wrote:
> my official comment is:
> It will work anywhere it works.  Anyone can do whatever they want but
> there is a limit to how much free support we will provide when doing
> things outside the parameters of our recommendations.
>
> The good news is that I think the newest kernels are getting over a
> dark time when timing was really bad as they tried to support more
> virtual environments.  I have seen promising results on even ubuntu
> and arch linux on bleeding edge kernels.  Centos 5.2-5.3 I can attest
> to being rock solid but a bit outdated.  As time unfolds we will
> ultimately become more confident supporting other platforms when we
> have experts on those platforms willing to maintain packaging and do
> support therein.
>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Steve Underwood <steveu at coppice.org> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2011 10:38 PM, curriegrad2004 wrote:
>>> There is no "worst" distro for freeswitch. It depends on how you are
>>> going to use FreeSwitch for, really.
>> Nonsense. The distro I will take the longest to learn to install is
>> *clearly* the worst distro. :-)
>>
>> Steve

> Anthony Minessale II
>
> FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/