[Freeswitch-users] Major deployment of outbound FAX on latest version of Freeswitch question

Andrew Keil andrew.keil at askinteractive.net
Sat May 7 00:02:00 MSD 2011

Steve,

Thanks for your response.

Further clarification on my part:

1) 20,000 to 30,000 pages per day to be sent out.
2) It will be an e-mail to fax style gateway (not fax to e-mail since that would involve inbound faxes)
3) The reason I asked about e-mail to PDF is the initial comments from my client requested the ability to send PDFs and WORD documents (I guess from attachments to the original e-mail), I understand the format that gets faxed should be TIFF so I saw on the freeswitch wiki email2pdf mentioned.  Then ImageMagick can help get a PDF to TIFF.

Can I ask some more questions:

Q1) Based on your experience what would be the average time (in seconds) to send a single fax page (TIFF file) via Freeswitch & Sangoma TDM?  You can quote a TIFF file size to make it more accurate.  From there I should be able to do the math to calculate my Client's requirements better.
Q2) Running on CentOS and using mod_spandsp/Freeswitch & Sangoma TDM what percentage CPU usage would I expect to see if 30 concurrent faxes are being sent at the same time (ie. All channels of my E1 are faxing)?  (The hardware would be a new 1U rack server from a major hardware vendor)
Q3) What version of CentOS 5.x would you recommend?  Would the latest version 5.6 be fine?
Q4) From memory there used to be different fax quality modes on fax machines (STANDARD, FINE & SUPER FINE or something like that).  Is it possible to set the fax send quality from mod_spandsp (also can you provide an example)?  If this is the case could you also answer question (Q1) based on the different fax send quality modes.
Q5) From exisiting deployments of Freeswitch using mod_spandsp (& Sagoma TDM cards (although this is not critical)) what is the largest number of concurrent outbound faxes done on a single box that you know of?

I appreciate your feedback and experience.  It sounds like this will work fine with the mod_spandsp/Freeswitch & Sangoma TDM combination on CentOS.

I will most likely go for two servers with at least 2 x E1s in each, that way I future proof it a little and add redundancy.  Plus my Client can start using Freeswitch for Voice related services also.  On my side I can also test faxes going out on the first server and via a cross-over cable I can terminate them on the second server (for testing) - much nicer.

Thanks again,

Andrew