[Freeswitch-users] audio dropouts with celt

Frank Rosengart frank at rosengart.de
Tue Mar 22 01:26:05 MSK 2011

Hi,

I'm connecting two FS'es with local audio (PA) each, via SIP using the
CELT codec. I experience occasional audio dropouts, maybe one in five
seconds. But not regulary. Sometimes it's fine for a minute. The
recorded waveform shows there is just silence for some milliseconds.
Sometimes the audio is garbled for a portion of a second.

This happens even when the computers are on the same LAN, but it's
getting worse when using public internet. All systems are running FS
from GIT, with CELT 0.10.0.

I have done the following debugging:

- recording the session: recorded on both sides, local audio is ok,
remote side has dropouts. pa loopback has no issues -> no
soundcard/driver issue

- running wireshark, using the RTP analyzer: on PCMA,G722 there is no
packet loss, no notable jitter (<20ms). The RTP analyzer does not show
any jitter info on CELT payload packets. I'm not sure if it can see lost
packets. -> I'm quite sure there is no packet loss.

How timing critical is CELT? Any ideas how I can go on with debugging?
Or is this better posted to the CELT developers? Is anyone running
FS+CELT with dropout-free audio?

Thanks!

Frank