[Freeswitch-users] PA and ALSA

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:08:20 MSK 2011

2 things to keep in mind.

1 Try to wrap your head around making a stable application that runs on
windows, unix including mac and some bsd, and unix-like distros such as
those mentioned.  Not all of our dependancies are stable on all of those
platforms or even easily available in some cases.

2 This is a community project, if some versions of libraries we are using
are older maybe they have been working fine or the modules are not used
enough to warrant attention.

The normal process would be:

The guy reports a problem and suggests its fixed in a newer version.  Now
try this code on every supported platform and make sure it works across the
board, if not, well, we can't blindly add it.  All of this can be done
without the ungrateful cracks and side stories about gentoo and we can
happily update the code.

I don't go to gentoo forum and complain that custom patching the kernel and
libc annoys me or about how I am not interested in being forced into their
religion to have my software in their distro even though it does not install
any third party libs, FS only static links in bits of code from in tree
depends.

Furthermore, we constantly invite people to assist with platform and
packaging and nobody offers anything but complaints.

An example of why we don't just blindly use system libs:
The latest sqlite causes 25% loss in performance and guarenteed segfaults
and occasional deadlock under load.
This is a place where people complain about 1% cpu usage.

Alsa mod is specifically for the nokia N800 N810 devices.
Stick with pa or help us write something new from scratch and don't forget
linux is not alone in the computing world.