[Freeswitch-users] Lan redundancy

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:35:46 MSD 2011

bond0 becomes your single network interface. eth0/eth1 aren't used any
longer - they're still there but they're just slaves of bond0.

That means you get a single IP on bond0 (eth0/eth1 don't have an IP) which
is the one FS/softphones would use.

If you're planning to have two independant networks with eth0 on one and
eth1 on the other that'll cause you problems... it's meant to provide the
server with two routes into the same network.

Between devices on the LAN it'll be problematic - in active-backup one
device will be active and the others disabled. There's no guarantee that all
servers'll pick the same slave device though, so some might be on eth0 and
others on eth1 which'd mean they wouldn't be able to reach each other. My 2
switches are connected together and use RSTP to avoid routing loops to avoid
that, which is why I mentioned it in the 1st email.

For the routing to the WAN it'll mean different routers so different IPs,
which'll drop calls with NAT on switchover, and force you to listen to both
public IPs on bond0 / FS if you're not using NAT which'll also mean dropped
calls on switching over.

Our network setup is here: http://pastebin.freeswitch.org/16587, how you
connect to the WAN really will depend on your ISP/Data Centre though.

-Steve