[Freeswitch-users] unload pcmu and pcma

Stephen Wilde wstephen80 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:00:49 MSD 2011

Hi, I use Sangoma transcoding card only to handle G711-G729 calls!

Probably, what the Sangoma people say is that the codec G711 is embedded in
Freeswitch and you cannot move it to Sangoma hardware.

This means that Sangoma card do the G729-L16 transcoding (high cpu
consuming) and Freeswitch do the L16-G711 transcoding (is only a mapping,
not algorithm = very low cpu consuming).

For this reason, for example, in all G711-G711 calls the Sangoma card is not
involved. For these calls, to have the G711 in Freeswitch is more efficient
then to have the G711 in Sangoma card!

Stephen