[Freeswitch-users] UK ISDN outgoing CLI (was Re: FreeTDM - Sangoma B700 - ISDN connection questions - UK)

Mike Raistrick michael.raistrick at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:55:10 MSD 2011

I've no direct experience with BT BRA ISDN (plenty with other providers) -
but I don't think that CLIP / COLP will be the issue.

CLIP is an inbound service - and determines whether your equipment is
presented with the number of the person calling you (and if they allow it).

Although COLP is an outbound service, it is used to display the number of
the line that you are connected through to (which might not be the same as
the number you dialled - e.g. 0800 numbers).

Whilst we're on supplementary services, CLIR is also an outbound service and
allows you to specify whether the CLI that you send (or the one that BT
uses) can be shown to the person you call.

Some terminogy: ISDN Basic Rate differentiates Direct Dial In (DDI's) and
Multiple Subscriber Numbers (MSNs) for incoming services.

DDIs are designed for PBXs and are associated with a range of numbers in a
block. The service provider sends you a called party number that can range
either from the last 'X' digits through to the whole number - this is
normally specified when the service is ordered and then all calls are
delivered the same way.

With DDIs - when you send an outgoing call you should be able to send the
extension or the whole number - in either case you should mark the Type Of
Number field accordingly (and if in national format - not include the '0'
for the number itself). In case that you send the extension digits - the
service provider adds this to the DDI 'stem' to get the full number. With
the full number (either derived from the extension, or as you sent it) - the
provider should then check that the number is in the allocated DDI range -
if it is it will allow it through, if not it will usually send the root DDI
number.

MSNs are unique to BRA - they are completely separate telephone numbers and
were originally designed to allow multiple BRA phones to be off the same
ISDN bus and have their own phone numbers. This means that the full number
will always be sent to you, and be expected from you for called and calling
numbers (still with the right Type Of Number set..).

Summary - with either DDI or MSNs - you should be OK to send the whole
number to BT as the calling party - minus the '0' and with TON set to
'national'.

Finally - if you do have the CLIR supplementary service, make sure that you
set the presentation indicator to 'allowed' - default should normally be to
assume allowed unless set differently - but to be on the safe side.

Mike