[Freeswitch-users] [SOLVED] Re: UK ISDN outgoing CLI

John freeswitch at earthspike.net
Thu Jul 14 15:38:55 MSD 2011

This has been solved.  BT Openreach identified an issue with the
exchange configuration that was forcing the lead number to be used as
the outgoing caller id irrespective of the number from our FS box.  Many
thanks to those who have offered helpful suggestions; it has allowed me
to eliminate all alternatives and, ultimately, to articulate the fault
in terms of non-compliance with Q951.3.

Summary of solution:

    Outgoing NPI: ISDN
    Outgoing TON: national
    Outgoing number format: 10 digit (ie strip leading 0)

Fault report that finally got results (real numbers have been substituted):

    For outgoing calls, SNDDI numbers (654321 or 654322) presented in
    the Calling Number Information Element of the Q931 SETUP packet with
    the screening indicator set to 'user-provided, verified and passed'
    are being overwritten by the BT exchange to the default number
    (654320) with the screening indicator set to 'network provided'.
    This is contrary to Q951.3 which requires properly constituted
    Calling Numbers to be passed [irrespective of the CLIP supplementary
    service being provided].  The fault can be replicated by dialling
    654320 or 654322 from 654321.  The Caller ID passed should be
    1234654321 but instead is 1234654320.

Helpful diagnosis tools/hints:

    * Anecdotes from former BT engineers suggest that testing CLI with
      mobile phones is bad practice; mobile phone companies pick up some
      strange signalling.  I am not sure that this isn't just folklore
      or due to number-matching algorithms in the handset, but I chose
      to use my home analogue landline for testing.
    * Making calls back to the same set of lines means that you can see
      the full signalling for both outgoing and terminating legs, and
      the only thing in the way is the local exchange.
    * wanpipemon allows Sangoma board users to capture the D-channel
      signalling and then view/process using wireshark/tshark.  This is
      a game-changer.  Syntax is:

      wanpipemon -i w1g1 -pcap -pcap_file isdn.pcap -prot ISDN -full-systime -c  trd

      Replace w1g1 with the wanpipe device name, and the output will go
      to isdn.pcap.  You will need to run one capture for each BRI line
      you have (eg w2g1, w3g1 etc and to isdn1.pcap, isdn2.pcap, etc).

I hope to put something somewhere on the Wiki with this information when
I get a spare moment (currently scheduled for Jan 2034).

Thanks again to all those who have helped resolve this.

John