[Freeswitch-users] Polycom G722 negotiation

Spencer Thomason spencer at 5ninesolutions.com
Mon Feb 28 18:55:27 MSK 2011

The devices are using 20ms G722.  The strange thing is that if the
call starts out as G722, everything works totally fine.  The problem
arises when the phone has G722 first in its prefered codec, the FS
profile is set to generous, and a call starts out as PCMU.  The audio
is fine until someone places a call on hold.  After taking a call off
hold, when the FS profile is set to generous, FS honors the Polycoms
preference for G722 and then tries to switch to G722.  At this point
there is no audio.  If the sophia profile is set to greedy, as
expected Freeswitch does not allow the switch to G722 and there are no
audio problems.  This only happens when a call starts out in something
other than G722 and then tries to switch.  I.e.  client ---G722---> FS
---PCMU---> Provider  works and client ---G722---> FS ---G722--->
client works but provider ---PCMU---> FS ---PCMU---> client and then a
call is placed on hold and resumed a G722 does not.

Spencer