[Freeswitch-users] implementing stereo (e.g. portaudio to test it easily)

MatzeMuc86 matzemuc86 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:04:44 MSK 2011

Hello,

sorry for my late reply:

@mazilo: I have not tested the HRTF my own but I know that it is not such an
extreme thing. The point is: 5 people in a conference => every participant
needs 4 other people mixed up => 5x4 = 20 HRTF mixings parallel => n*(n-1)
complexity :-(. If I integrate this stuff in FreeSWITCH I will, of course,
offer it as open source as well (we can try to integrate it or whatever the
main developers want to have). But at first I need to get it working.

@Steve: Thanks. Is there some documentation for which I am too stupid to
find it?

@Anthony:
- Playing vs. Codec: Sounds logical! Codec: What about L16. I think there is
a 1 and a 2 channel version available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_audio_video_profile
- I completely understand why there is no stereo until now.
- Portaudio: I'm not sure if I really need this mod for my purpose. It was
only a nice idea to test and debug how media is handled.
- I understood SIP the way as it is only a protocol for "managing" things.
The media flow uses RTP and RTP can use different codecs and different
numbers of channels. The SDP can also handle different codecs for sending
and receiving. Therefore, I thought, sending mono and receiving stereo is
completely SIP regular!??

@tim: I'm not sure if I understood your idea completely in the right way:
Your main idea is to use one sip session for each channel? But mixing would
still be done by the server, not the client? How should I take care that the
left and the right channels, processed by two different SIP + RTP sessions,
are played simultaneously?

Thanks to all your great support!!!
MatzeMuc86