[Freeswitch-users] Polycom G722 negotiation

Spencer Thomason spencer at 5ninesolutions.com
Fri Feb 25 08:45:16 MSK 2011

Hello all,
I have several Polycom IP-650s.  On the external profile I have:
CODECS IN        	G722,PCMU,G729,GSM
CODECS OUT       	PCMU,G729

On the internal profile I have
CODECS IN        	G722,PCMU,G729,GSM
CODECS OUT       	G722,PCMU,G729,GSM

The Polycoms have a similar codec priority set:
v=0
o=- 1167611879 1167611879 IN IP4 10.59.1.243
s=Polycom IP Phone
c=IN IP4 10.59.1.243
t=0 0
a=sendrecv
m=audio 2236 RTP/AVP 9 0 18 101
a=rtpmap:9 G722/8000
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=rtpmap:18 G729/8000
a=fmtp:18 annexb=yes
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000

The issue I have is that if I leave the internal profile to generous
and a user places a call from the PSTN on hold which is PCMU, when the
user tries to pick up the call, the Polycoms' preference then changes
the call to G722 and there is no audio.  If I set the profile to
greedy, since the call is already PCMU Freeswitch keeps it at PCMU and
audio is fine.  I realize this is the intended behavior for greedy vs
generous but my question is why is there no audio when switching the
codecs?  I didn't want to clutter this up any more but I'm happy to
provide traces however the only real difference is the codec order.

Thanks,
Spencer

--
Spencer Thomason