[Freeswitch-users] Any experience with DTMF from FreeSwitch to Sonus with Vega ATAs?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Feb 20 15:23:24 MSK 2011

Hi Yehavi,

Section 3.2 of RFC2833 is poorly worded, and causes a lot of issues in
the real world. The first paragraph says you can choose to send both
audio and events, but doesn't clarify how. Presumably RFC2198 should be
used. Is your system using RFC2198 encoding? I doubt it. The second
paragraph talks about tone onset getting through as audio. Valid DTMF
can be as short as 45ms, so 60ms is far more than anything which might
be termed onset. Because they didn't specify anything about what is
tolerable as tone onset passing through the channel as audio we have
chaos today.

RFC2833 is an obsolete spec, and we should be talking about RFC4733
today. Section 2.5.1.3.1 of RFC4733 does clearly call for combined
payloads to be sent as RFC2198 packets. RFC4733 is even vaguer about the
onset issue, though.

Steve