[Freeswitch-users] Using mod_opal with MSN Messenger

Rhosyn rhosyn at purplescarab.com
Sat Feb 5 22:14:43 MSK 2011

Hi Mazilo,

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

MSN Messenger is (as I understand it from digging into it a few years ago) a
proprietary text-based protocol (see: e.g.
http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/client/invitations.php  for some "reverse
engineered" details)

whereas H.323 (as supported by Opal) is an ITU Standard and is a binary
protocol.

There's a tiny bit of a historical protocol overlap in that both Messenger
(old, now defunct versions?) and H.323 clients (like MS Netmeeting)  have
used T.120 for app sharing but even then, AFAIK, they have never been
interoperable for any kind of call signalling.

To my knowledge, the only major  "chat" program with a large user base that
uses anything close to kind of open standard is gtalk (which uses XMPP)

Hth,

Rhosyn