[Freeswitch-users] mod_com_g729 - moving licences to a new server

Massimiliano Ravelli massimiliano.ravelli at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:42:51 MSK 2011

2011/2/2 Steven Ayre <steveayre at gmail.com>

> Licenses are linked to the server via the MAC addresses of all network
> cards on the server. If you can move all of those (or at least set the same
> MAC addresses) it'll let you use the license on the other server. Do not try
> using the license on the old server at the same time.

Thanks Steven,
Unluckily the ethernet interfaces are integrated into the motherboard and
even with with network cards the downtime for the swap will be unacceptable.

If that's not possible or you'd rather have it linked to the new server try
> emailing consulting at freeswitch.org, they'll be able to reissue the license
> (but as part of the patent restrictions can only do this a limited number of
> times). They'll probably also see this thread.

We plan to swap the production machine back in the future and we need to
swap them quickly so I think we should buy some more licences.
By the way: does anyone know how much is "limited number of times" ?
Just curious, as our customers will need licences too and I'm wondering if
we can buy licences in advance for them.

You'll want to stop the current server before installing the license on the
> new server I believe.

Shutting down or, at least, disconnect from the network the current server
is already planned in any case.

mod_com_g729 can be upgraded, but not while you have G729 calls running.
> You'll need to do install the newer module, then do "reload mod_com_g729" at
> the FS cli. That'll unload the G729 codec module (which'll block until any
> current G729 calls end) then load the new one. Be careful on a production
> server - you should test doing so on a testbed first so you don't get any
> unexpected problems during the upgrade, otherwise your server may be offline
> for much longer than you'd expected.

Ok, thanks very much !

Regards,
Massimiliano