[Freeswitch-users] open g729

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Feb 1 15:17:53 MSK 2011

On 02/01/2011 06:07 PM, Anton VG wrote:
> The question that bugs me, that if some one have 1000 licenses for
> Asterisk g729 (10K$!) , and wants to switch over from asterisk to a
> FreeSWITCH, would one have to buy that 100 liceses again, or there is
> a kind of procedure to get the module for existing licenses? Most
> likely no way :) But it's worth to mention a problem, which might so
> much keeping one on the certain platform. And that is the case when
> one may consider, as owner of the licenses to go with the IPP (or
> other open implementation) without any law breakage.

Those software licence fees do not bestow the right to run any other
G.729 software. You might feel you are on moral high ground using IPP
after paying for asterisk licences, but this has no legal standing.

At one time you could get low volume patent licences from the G.729
patent pool people, to run any code you like. This is no longer offered,
and it was probably never of much value. I don't think you could get a
similar low volume arrangement for the patents you need to licence which
are outside the pool.

Steve