[Freeswitch-users] Max sessions for a javascript app?

Huw Selley huw.selley at netdev.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 14:06:44 MSK 2011

Hi,

This is my first post here so please be gentle :)

First of all thanks for making such an awesome product!

I have a question about the maximum number of sessions with media that I can support from a javascript app.

My freeswitch box is CentOS 5.6 x86_64 running on a dell R410 with dual quad core X5650  @ 2.67GHz and 32GB of ram.
I am using freeswitch commit 1ea5b3cf62ff99f07a21a70196f8a684bd5333e3 which I built yesterday.
I have modified switch.xml to raise max-sessions and sessions-per-second to quite high values (100000 and 1000 respectively).
Freeswitch is being started with the -nonat and -hp flags and I have applied the ulimits recommendedinhttp://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Performance_testing_and_configurations.
The call sender and receivers are both on slightly older dell machines with dual quad core xeon cpus and 16GB RAM.
The servers are all on a gigabit ethernet network.

I have a simple test setup with a sipp uac sending ingress into freeswitch, the dialplan executes a simple javascript app that just performs a bridge.
The outbound gateway points at a sipp uas to answer the call. Each call has a hold time of 300s then the uac ends the call.
My uac script is sending in 10cps to a total of 12000 calls.

The javascript app is:

session.execute("bridge", "sofia/gateway/sipp/argv[0]");

I have noticed that when using the js app I don't appear to be able to get >3001 inbound calls. Once I have reached 3001 inbound calls (so 6002 sessions including the b-leg) freeswitch responds to each new INVITE with a 100 trying message but the call doesn't progress.
I have also performed the same test but using the bridge application in the dialplan instead of calling the javascript and it happily runs through to 12000 calls.
The reason I am querying this is because I want to use a more complex js app so I can't just use the bridge dialplan app.

Am i doing it wrong?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Huw