[Freeswitch-users] Strange problem with Freeswitch and external extension

Charles Bujold cjbujold at accra.ca
Fri Aug 26 00:46:21 MSD 2011

I have a remote extension which registers with the Freeswitch server.  The
user can record his greeting in the Freeswitch IVR without a problem.  Yet
if the user calls me I cannot hear him, but he can hear me.

I thought at first that it was a NAT issue so we placed the remote telephone
directly on the internet and the same problem remains.  The Freeswitch
server is behind a NAT/router and I can see the packets from the phone
coming into the router and being forwarded to the Freeswitch server.  The
router is not blocking the packets and is forwarding them to the correct
server IP.

I them placed wireshark on the Freeswitch server and I can see the packets
leave the Freeswitch server and going to the phone But I cannot see the
Freeswitch server receive the packets from the PFsense router, even though I
can see in the router that the packets are being forwarded properly to the
Freeswitch server IP.  The Freeswitch server is running Ubuntu with no
firewall, so in theory I should see the server accept or reject the packets.
Yet I do not see any in wireshark coming from the phone, only those leaving
from the Freeswitch server.

What I do not understand is why, since he is registered,  I cannot hear him,
but yet he can interact with Freeswitch and record a greeting?  Obviously
packets are getting routed properly and Freeswitch recognizes them, some of
the time.

Can somebody suggest a possible explanation and solution to this problem?

Thanks

cjb