[Freeswitch-users] Does FreeSWITCH supports Googles VP8 (WebM) Codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Aug 5 06:17:14 MSD 2011

On 08/05/2011 08:25 AM, João Mesquita wrote:
> >From what I could see, a mod_vp8 would be cool because its license is
> BSD-like and not like h264 and others that have patent restricting use.
>
> The problem is that, afaik there is no endpoints using vp8 nowadays so
> it would be restricted to some internet application or custom
> application making use of vp8...
>
> Maybe the experts could shed some light on the matter, I don't even
> know if VP8 would be suitable for phone calls...
>
> Regards,
> João Mesquita

I read the Skype is about to start using VP8. This seems pretty odd,
considering who their new owners are, but maybe the decision was made
long ago. If that's right, the availability of endpoints will change
very rapidly.... as long as you can interwork with them. It seems VP8
was designed to be video conference friendly, but I have no idea just
how friendly. Google seem to have done serious work on speeding up
encode on a PC.

Steve