[Freeswitch-users] Call quality issues

Eric Beard eric at loopfx.com
Fri Apr 29 01:52:34 MSD 2011

Hello,

I ran into some major call quality issues this week, and I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot things.  I've been running FreeSwitch for a few weeks, and suddenly a few days ago my call quality dropped drastically.  I had been running more than 100 concurrent calls, with the CPU at less than 20%, but now at 20 concurrent calls, the CPU is still at a little less than 20%, and the call quality is bad - any higher and calls go almost completely silent.  There is a direct correlation between the number of simultaneous calls and call quality.

I have tested against multiple gateways, same results against each, so it's not an issue with the gateway.

I have captured packets on the machine and analyzed them with Wireshark.  It seems like the inbound packets are all fine, no jitter or loss.  But the packets being sent by FreeSwitch are degraded.

One sample call showed:

Drop by Jitter Buff:158(14.1%) Out of Seq 0 (0.0%) Wrong Timestamp 96(8.6%)

I'm not sure what that meant, but Wireshark's analysis and playback was very accurate, sounding exactly like what I hear when I test a call.  (Freeswitch recordings are by comparison very clean sounding)

So what's my next step?  Where do I go to find the problem? I know FreeSwitch is capable of handling this traffic.

I last updated from git yesterday.  I'm running on a dual-quad 64 bit openSuse machine with 8Gb RAM.

Thanks!

Eric Z. Beard, CTO
Loop LLC
w (877) 850-2010 x9249