[Freeswitch-users] Relay Proxy-Authentication requests to the caller

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Fri Apr 15 00:29:08 MSD 2011

Dave,

Welcome to the FS community! Thanks for your input. We always appreciate it
when experienced newbies come in and start using the software. Thanks for
the feedback. I think you'll find that everyone here listens and responds to
feedback respectfully, whether they agree or disagree. Oh, and if someone is
blunt or rude please don't take it personally. Everybody has a bad day now
and then. :)

Now, on to your main issue: tweaking SIP headers and similar actions. I can
hear Tony (main dev) cringe when he sees that phrase. If you've been doing
SIP for 10 years then you know better than most just how crazy the RFCs are
and how loosely some people interpret them. That's one of the core reasons
why interop is such a challenge. We have a bit of a mantra around here, and
I suppose it goes something like this: we don't pander to people who do
stupid things with SIP just for the sake of interop. It's also been put this
way: just say "no". (Tip 'o the hat to Nancy Reagan ;)

The FS devs have no desire to dig one character deeper into the SIP stack
than they absolutely have to. It may seem that you are asking for a simple
feature. However, allowing FreeSWITCH (a B2BUA) to "tweak SIP headers" is
ridiculously complicated. If you don't believe me then go look at
mod_sofia.c and sofia.c and sofia_glue.c and sofia_reg.c and
sofia_presence.c and sofia_sla.c. That's just so FreeSWITCH can talk to the
SIP stack! libsofia is another monster. So the bottom line from the
development viewpoint is that we have to say "no" to some things. I know
that may seem arbitrary and maybe even capricious but I can assure you that
it is not. One of the reasons that FreeSWITCH is so stable and efficient is
that it doesn't not try to be "all things SIP" to everyone. I hope you can
see our viewpoint.

In your specific use case it sounds like you really do need a true proxy
server in addition to a media server. Others may have some thoughts. Are
there any other OSS communications software packages that can do all this,
i.e. be a SIP proxy and media server? (And do it reliably?)

-MC