[Freeswitch-users] proxy SDP

Steven Ayre steveayre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:02:20 MSD 2011

I don't mean they're equivalent, because proxy_media has other sideaffects
such as disabling many features.

I mean there are different better ways to avoid transcoding.

What you suggested with bridge should indeed avoid it. Without the
absolute_codec_string the bleg would be offered all codecs supported by FS
which may be more than supported by the caller, however with that setting it
would only offer those supported by both the caller and FS. The callee will
pick one it supports (or return 488 Not Acceptable Here). The aleg will then
use the same codec as the bleg, so at that point both legs will be using the
same codec so no transcoding will take place (unless you try using something
like eavesdrop/record). You could then if you wanted handle the 488 Not
Acceptable Here by redialing without absolute_codec_string to try again,
this time the bleg could use a different codec than the aleg (transcoding).

-Steve